I am a proud Blood Donor.
So far I have donated 18 pints and I have a Bronze Card. It was a colleague who inspired me to be one.
Over the last few months, it has become a lot more exciting as the NHS send you a text message letting you know where it has been used. I was told that my blood went to a patient or patients at Tunbridge Wells Hospital. It all becomes real and you can imagine the drama going on and me helping the patient out, perhaps with a team of other blood donors.
I plan to make a necklace noting how many donations I have made, and plan a Location Map of where my donations have gone. I am also going to buy a plant for each donation so I have a Blood Donation garden.
Here are some of my tips for newbies:
- Drink enough water or liquids beforehand, but avoid caffeine.
- For women, make sure you eat plenty of foods with iron or take iron supplements. You can be turned away with low iron (I was once)
- Take a friend or someone to come along for the first time, I didn’t, but it can be nice.
- You get snacks like crisps and biscuits which is great afterwards
- I don’t like needles much, so I just look away.Really, it is just like a pin prick.